Delightfully oniony, a little cheesy, and no crust needed. These mini onion quiches are pretty, delicious, and definitely company-worthy.
I usually serve these mini onion quiches as a side. For a meatless meal, try serving them alongside fried eggs – filling and healthy!
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced or chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup low-fat cottage cheese
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup white whole-wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Place eight 6-ounce, oven and broiler safe ramekins on the foil and spray them with olive oil cooking spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the onions and ½ teaspoon kosher salt and cook, stirring often, 8 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cottage cheese, ½ more teaspoon kosher salt, black pepper, and nutmeg. Using a spatula, mix in ½ cup of the Parmesan and the flour.
- Divide the cooked onions evenly between the ramekins. Pour the egg mixture over the onions. Bake 25-30 minutes, until puffed and set and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Switch oven to broil and set on high. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup Parmesan cheese on top of the quiches. Broil, oven door slightly cracked to avoid burning, 2-3 minutes, until cheese is browned.
- Serve in the ramekins, or use a paring knife to carefully loosen the sides, then invert onto a serving plate.