Portobello pizza is cheesy, savory and delicious. It is the perfect low carb, gluten free substitute to wheat-crust pizza. And it’s so much healthier!
Portobello pizza – such a wonderful low carb substitute for pizza! It is cheesy, delicious, low carb, and very filling.
I love serving portobello pizza as a side dish, in which case I serve one per person. Sometimes I serve portobello pizza as a main dish (2 per person), with a side of salad.
You should know that stuffed and baked portobello mushrooms can become soggy. Here are a few tips to avoid sogginess:
1. Wipe clean, don’t wash the portobello mushrooms. If you wash them, they absorb too much water.
2. Pre-broil the mushrooms to release some of the water.
3. In the final stage of baking or broiling, broil or bake briefly, just until the pizza topping is browned. Baking too long will result in mushy mushrooms that have released their liquid into your filling.
But even if that happens, do not despair! Simply drain the liquid, and place the mushrooms on paper towels to soak as much of the liquid as possible, then serve.
- 2 large portobello mushroom, wiped clean, stems removed
- Olive oil cooking spray
- ½ cup of your favorite no-added-sugar marinara sauce
- 2 oz part-skim Mozzarella cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 4 basil leaves, torn to pieces, or 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves
- Preheat broiler, setting temperature to high. Set oven rack in the middle of the oven. Line a large baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup.
- Spray the mushroom caps with olive oil spray on both sides. Broil 5 minutes on each side, or until just tender.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven, keeping the broiler on. If the mushrooms have released some of their water content, drain them briefly on paper towels and wipe the baking sheet dry, then return the mushrooms, gill side up, to the baking sheet.
- Fill each mushroom cap with half of the marinara sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan. Scatter a few torn basil leaves, or a few oregano leaves, on top. Place back under the broiler until cheese is browned, 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately.