Cauliflower pizza crust is delicious, and gives someone who tries to limit their carbs or avoid wheat and gluten a tasty, pizza-like experience. This is especially true if you bake the cauliflower crust until very set and crisp, and if you prefer thin-crust pizza.
Another wonderful low-carb, gluten free crust is this coconut flour pizza crust. It’s wonderful, and closer to the real thing than cauliflower pizza crust.
- Olive oil spray
- 1 small head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets (14 oz, 400 grams without refuse)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- ¾ cup (3 oz) shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Any other pizza toppings you like (I used anchovies)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (this is important - I tried without parchment and the cauliflower crust got soggy instead of crispy) and lightly spray it with olive oil spray. You can also use a 13-inch pizza pan, and cut a parchment circle to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Place the cauliflower in food processor and rice it - pulse until its texture resembles rice. Work in batches if needed.
- In a medium bowl, mix the riced cauliflower, eggs, oregano, garlic powder and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to the center of the prepared baking sheet and use a spatula to press it into a thin 13-inch circle. Try to even it out so that it's all the same thickness, and don't allow the edges to be too thin, or they'll burn (but even if they do get too dark, they're still delicious).
- Bake the cauliflower crust until golden-brown and very set (so that edges can be gently lifted up from the baking sheet without the circle falling apart), about 40 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. This is what the crust looks like when baked:
- Switch oven to broil, set on high. With a spatula, spread the tomato sauce on top of the cauliflower pizza crust. Sprinkle the cheeses on top. You can obviously add more toppings at this point.
- Return the pizza to the oven and broil until the cheese is bubbly and browned in spots, about 2 minutes. Remove from oven, cut into eight triangles using a pizza cutter, and serve.