Spicy and intensely flavorful, this vegetable curry makes a tasty side dish to meat, or serve it as a meatless main dish atop cooked brown rice.
While there is some prep involved, once you prep the vegetables, this vegetable curry comes together very fast.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ lb. cubed butternut squash
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup water
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the butternut squash, eggplant, bell peppers, onion and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper and 1 more teaspoon kosher salt and cook, stirring, 2 more minutes, until vegetables are well-coated.
- Stir in the water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- Turn heat off and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Serve this vegetable curry in soup bowls, or serve it over brown rice or cauliflower rice.