Hearty, comforting and very flavorful, this thick lentil soup is one of my favorite healthy winter pleasures.
Prep and Cool time
Author: Vered DeLeeuw
Recipe type: Soup, Vegan
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 6 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups dry lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1 dried bay leaf
- ⅛ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped parsley for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes, until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute, stirring. Add the cumin and paprika and cook, stirring, 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the broth, the remaining salt, lentils, bay leaf, and thyme. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to low, cover, and simmer 30-40 minutes, until lentils are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf, stir in the lemon juice and black pepper and serve, garnished with chopped parsley.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 205; Fat: 2g; Carbohydrates: 32g; Sugar: 5g; Sodium: 514mg; Fiber: 16g; Protein: 14g