This delicious, creamy pumpkin mac and cheese is the perfect fall/winter comfort food! Despite being slightly sweet, pumpkin is actually very versatile and can take on sweet or savory flavors.
In this pumpkin mac and cheese, it adds wonderful flavor and creaminess – and what a great way to sneak in an extra serving of vegetables!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil for pan
- 1 (15 oz) can pure pumpkin puree
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- ½ lb. whole-wheat elbow pasta, uncooked
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Brush a 9-inch square baking dish with olive oil.
- In a large bowl, using a hand whisk, whisk together the pumpkin puree, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir in 1¾ cups of the cheese and the uncooked pasta.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, cover tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover pan, stir gently and sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup cheese. Bake, uncovered, 30 more minutes, until the most amazing cheesy smell fills your kitchen and the casserole is browned. You'll want to dig right in, but don't - like most casseroles, pumpkin mac and cheese tastes better after cooling in the pan for 15 minutes.