An easy chicken soup recipe – simply place all the ingredients in a big pot, bring to a boil, then simmer. The longer you simmer, the richer the soup will be.
The resulting chicken soup is delicious, golden and comforting, wonderful on its own, or served with rice or noodles.
- 4 lb. chicken pieces, bone-in, skin-on
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 large carrots
- 2 stalks celery, cut into thirds
- 1 bunch parsley
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 3 quarts water
- Place all the ingredients in a large, heavy stockpot. Bring to a boil.
- Skim the foam layer from the top, reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer for 3 hours.
- Strain the solids through a colander. If you can’t bring yourself to discard the meat, keep it and use it in these leftover turkey recipes.
- Serve immediately, as is or with rice or noodles. Or cool completely, refrigerate overnight, and the next day, remove the fat layer from the top before reheating.