An easy pumpkin mug cake that’s also healthy, keto and low carb. Without the frosting it makes a great breakfast. With the frosting, a yummy dessert.
I’m really enjoying this healthy pumpkin mug cake. It’s the perfect fall dessert (or breakfast!).
Made with coconut flour and sweetened with stevia, this pumpkin mug cake is keto, low carb and gluten free. It’s a big cake, and when it’s frosted, it makes two generous, filling servings, so either share it with someone, or save some for later.
The cake “bakes” in the microwave for just 90 seconds. In fact, I got the idea for this cake from this 90 second bread recipe. What would happen, I wondered, if I added pumpkin, a sweetener and cinnamon? I increased the amount of coconut flour just a little – it is so absorbent that too much means a very dry cake – and loved the result!
The frosting is lovely, and just as easy to make as the cake – I simply mix the ingredients by hand. The cake is nice without frosting, but it’s really good with it.
I use a heaping 1/4 teaspoon of stevia glycerite to sweeten this pumpkin mug cake. This should equal about 1 tablespoon of sugar – here’s a conversion chart. Depending on how sweet you like your desserts, this might not be enough for you, so do experiment. You might enjoy this cake better with 1/2 teaspoon of stevia glycerite.
Since this recipe requires a small amount of pumpkin puree, this is a good recipe to make when you have leftover pumpkin puree from another recipe.
Like the convenience of mug cakes? Try this incredible, gooey chocolate mug cake! Another good one if you like cheesecake is this microwave cheesecake. And for peanut butter lovers, you can’t go wrong with this keto peanut butter mug cake!
Watch the video to see bow I make this healthy pumpkin mug cake:
Pumpkin Mug Cake
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon canned pure pumpkin puree
- 1/4 teaspoon stevia glycerite
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1/4 teaspoon stevia glycerite (heaping)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1.5 tablespoons coconut flour (11 grams)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- If making frosting: Soften the cream cheese in the microwave, about 10 seconds. Mix in the remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Place the butter in a 7oz ramekin. Melt in the microwave.
- Whisk in the pumpkin, stevia, vanilla and cinnamon. Add the egg and whisk to incorporate.
- Add the coconut flour and baking powder. Whisk until smooth, scraping the sides and bottom and making sure the batter is completely smooth, well incorporated and free of lumps. Especially check the bottom of the ramekin to make sure there are no unmixed areas there.
- Microwave for about 90 seconds, just until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Gently remove from ramekin. Run a knife around the edges and slide a small rubber spatula under the bottom if needed. Turn the cake upside down to allow the bottom to air out and prevent sogginess. Allow to slightly cool.
- Enjoy the pumpkin cake as is, or frost it: slice in half crosswise. Frost the center, then the top. If you have enough frosting, you can frost the sides as well, as shown in the video.
- Cut into two servings and enjoy!