Tasty roasted vegetables are tossed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then roasted in a hot oven until tender and browned.
I love roasted vegetables because they are so easy. Simply slice, toss with a simple marinade of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic, and roast until tender.
In fact, it’s difficult to give an exact recipe for roasted vegetables, because the idea is to use up whatever sturdy veggies you happen to have in the fridge.
Some of the vegetables that work well for roasting: zucchini, summer squash, carrots, asparagus, brussels sprouts (halved), cauliflower florets, broccoli, bell peppers, green beans and onions.
Today, I used a mix of red onion, bell peppers, zucchini and summer squash.
Make sure the vegetables are very dry before you toss them with the marinade, and roast them in high heat (450 degrees F), to ensure they roast rather than steam.
I don’t think you’ll have any leftovers of these yummy roasted vegetables, but just in case you do, they are excellent cold – just like Italian antipasti.
Watch the video to see how easy it is to make these tasty roasted vegetables:
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into thick slices
- 1 medium summer squash, sliced into thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place the vegetables in a baking dish. I used a 9 X 13 glass dish.
- Mix the marinade ingredients. Pour over the vegetables and toss.
- Roast the vegetables for 15 minutes, until just tender and lightly browned.