Tortilla French toast: flour tortillas dipped in an egg, milk and vanilla mixture, fried in butter, and then, while still warm, rolled in cinnamon sugar. Yup, it’s as delicious as it sounds!
Whenever my kids ask me to make crepes for breakfast, and I’m feeling too lazy, I make tortilla French toast instead.
It’s a simple recipe – flour tortillas dipped in an egg, milk and vanilla mixture, fried in butter, and then, while still warm, rolled in cinnamon sugar.
Tortilla French toast is not quite the same as real crepes, of course, but it’s far less labor intensive, and it’s very, very good.
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 (6-inch) whole-wheat flour tortillas
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the egg, milk and vanilla.
- In another shallow dish, mix together the sugar and cinnamon.
- Heat a double-burner griddle over medium heat, about 3 minutes. Add the butter, swirling or brushing to coat.
- Dip each tortilla in the egg mixture, on both sides, until well-coated. Shake off the excess. Place on hot griddle.
- Fry the tortillas about 2 minutes on each side, until puffed and golden-brown. Dredge in cinnamon sugar, fold in half and again in half, and serve.