Baked mozzarella sticks are delicious and fun, and make a healthier alternative to fried mozzarella sticks. Serve them as an appetizer, or as a snack.
Baked mozzarella sticks are one of my kids’ favorite after-school snacks. They love to dip them in ketchup.
- Olive oil cooking spray
- ½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons white whole-wheat flour
- 12 part-skim mozzarella sticks, cut in half crosswise
- Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray it with olive oil cooking spray.
- Mix the bread crumbs with the cheese, garlic powder and rosemary.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs with 1 tablespoon water. Place the flour in another shallow bowl, and the breadcrumbs mixture in a third bowl.
- Dip each cheese stick in flour, shake off the excess, then dip in eggs, again shaking off the excess, and finally dredge in the breadcrumbs mixture, gently pressing to coat. Use one hand for dipping in the egg mixture and one for the dry plates, to avoid a sticky mess.
- Place the coated cheese sticks on the prepared baking sheet. Transfer to the freezer for 2 hours. This will help keep the cheese from melting when you bake it.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Remove the cheese sticks from the freezer. Lightly spray them with olive oil spray. Bake 5 minutes, turn, spray with more olive oil spray and bake 5 more minutes, until golden and crisp. Serve immediately.