My grandpa Jacob used to make an amazing strawberry compote, slow cooking strawberries and sugar over low heat. He used to serve his strawberry compote cold, and it was so good. I make a quick version and spoon it warm over cold, creamy Greek yogurt. Bliss!
- 8 oz (1/2 package) fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place the strawberries, honey, lemon juice and vanilla in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring often, 10 minutes, until strawberries are very soft.
- Cool 10 minutes, then spoon over Greek yogurt (or vanilla ice cream, hey, you only live once).
- Serve immediately.