The secret to crispy oven fries? Coat them in egg whites before seasoning and baking. These baked oven fries are hot, crispy and well-seasoned.
They are a real treat, and one that will leave you wondering, why even bother with deep frying?
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 lb. russet potatoes (2 medium potatoes)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray the foil with olive oil cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until frothy.
- In a large bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut each half in two, and then cut each quarter into ¼-inch-thick fries. Pat dry using paper towels.
- Place the fries in the bowl with the beaten egg whites to coat.
- Transfer the fries to the bowl with the breadcrumbs mixture. Toss to coat.
- Arrange the fries in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them a little. Spray with olive oil spray.
- Bake 15 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from oven. Carefully turn fries. Spray again and bake 15 more minutes. Serve immediately.