This baked eggs recipe is a slightly more labor-intensive recipe than these baked eggs, but I actually prefer it thanks to its more complex flavors.
These delicious eggs are baked in homemade tomato sauce and are ready in less than 30 minutes. They are perfect for brunch, of course, but I sometimes serve them for dinner too.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes, no salt or sugar added
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place four individual shallow baking dishes (such as these creme brulee ramekins) on a foil-lined baking sheet. Or you can use a square 8-inch baking dish.
- Prepare the tomato sauce: Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the garlic until golden. Add the tomatoes, rosemary, oregano, parsley, ¼ teaspoon of the salt, and ⅛ teaspoon of each pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Divide the sauce evenly among the baking dishes. Break one egg into each dish. Sprinkle the remaining salt and peppers on the eggs. Sprinkle the Parmesan on top.
- Bake 15 minutes, until egg whites are fully cooked, or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.