An easy recipe for baked macaroni and cheese. No need to heat the milk or pre cook the pasta! Simply mix everything together and bake.
Of course I fell in love with this baked macaroni and cheese recipe.
No need to cook the pasta or heat the milk? Just mix the sauce ingredients, add the dry pasta and cheese and bake? I’m in!
But the amount of cheese in the pasta – a full pound of cheese – seemed a bit excessive. So I decided to tweak it a little, reducing the amount of cheese by half, and using gluten-free elbow macaroni. I also decided to use Greek yogurt instead of cottage cheese, because that’s what I had in the fridge, and tweaked the seasonings according to my personal preferences.
The result was so good, so cheesy and flavorful, that I honestly don’t see any reason to use any more cheese than I had. Now, this baked macaroni and cheese is still not a skinny recipe – it can’t be with all this cheese – but it’s a marked improvement. And with a big tossed salad, it makes a good, satisfying gluten free meal.
This recipe is gluten free, but obviously not low carb. If you’re on a low carb diet, try this excellent recipe for low carb macaroni and cheese.
- Olive oil cooking spray for pan
- 1 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated, divided
- ½ lb. gluten free elbow pasta, dry
- Topping: ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch baking dish with olive oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, milk, mustard, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper. Add 1¾ cups of the grated cheese and the uncooked pasta. Pour into the prepared pan, cover tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover the pan, stir gently, sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup cheese, and a little more paprika for color.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 more minutes, until your kitchen is filled with the most amazing cheesy aroma and the casserole is browned. You'll want to dig right in, but don't - let it slightly cool and set in the pan, about 15 minutes, before serving.