Delicious, savory pan-fried chickpea pancakes, flavored with garlic, cumin and paprika and fried in olive oil. An excellent vegetarian entree – serve it with brown rice and a tossed salad.
Prep and Cool time
Author: Vered DeLeeuw
Recipe type: Entree, Vegetarian
Yield: 3 servings
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup parsley
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
- ¼ cup olive oil for frying
- Place chickpeas and parsley in food processor. Pulse to coarsely grind, not until smooth but with no whole chickpeas remaining.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the olive oil and process into a smooth, creamy mixture, scraping sides with a spatula as needed. Don't over-process - stop processing as soon as mixture is smooth.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Drop the batter onto the skillet, about ¼ cup per cake. I measure with a 4-tablespoon ice cream scoop.
- Fry on medium heat, about 5 minutes on each side, until deep golden-brown.
Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: 3 chickpea cakes; Calories: 365.3; Fat: 22.8g; Carbohydrates: 28.6g; Sugar: 3.2g; Sodium: 335.6mg; Fiber: 6.5g; Protein: 14.9g