This creamy, velvety, very flavorful corn soup has a nice subtle kick from the addition of cayenne pepper.
Creamy Corn Soup
Prep and Cool time
Author: Vered DeLeeuw
Recipe type: Soup, Gluten-Free, Vegetarian
Yield: 6 servings
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb. frozen corn kernels (use organic to minimize GMO exposure)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- ¼ cup chopped chives for garnish
- Measure out your yogurt and leave it on the counter to warm up a bit.
- In a large, deep saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the onion and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Cook, stirring, until onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cayenne and cook 1 minute, stirring. Add corn and sauté, stirring, until no longer frozen, about 1 minute.
- Add the broth. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the yogurt with the remaining teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Transfer the soup to your food processor in several batches and puree, reserving 1 cup not pureed to allow for a slightly chunky texture.
- Transfer the pureed soup back to the pot. Heat over medium heat until heated through.
- Off heat, whisk in the yogurt. Divide among six bowls, garnish with chives and serve.
Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: 1 cup; Calories: 129; Fat: 3g; Carbohydrates: 23g; Sugar: 5g; Sodium: 477mg; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 5g