This easy chana masala recipe is ready in 30 minutes. A popular Indian dish, chana masala is a savory, flavorful stew of chickpeas and onions, flavored with a long list of spices.
To make things easier, I use canned chickpeas, and a chana masala spice mix.
- In a small bowl, mix together the chana masala mix, garam masala and kosher salt. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes. Add the onion and cook until soft and beginning to brown, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, 1 more minute.
- Add the spices. Cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the chickpeas and stir to coat in the spices.
- Add the water. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, until liquid reduces by half and chickpeas are soft.