Turkey enchiladas are a lot of work, but they are also one of the most delicious ways to enjoy leftover turkey.
Prep and Cool time
Author: Vered DeLeeuw
Recipe type: Entree, Gluten-Free
Yield: 12 enchiladas
- Olive oil spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce, no salt added
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups (10 oz total) finely shredded cooked turkey, white or dark
- 1 cup canned fat free refried beans
- 1½ cups enchilada sauce
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chili peppers, drained
- ½ cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a 9 X 13 baking dish with olive oil spray.
- Prepare the sauce: Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and ½ teaspoon salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, black pepper, chili powder, cumin and honey, and cook 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and water. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer for a smoother sauce.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded turkey, refried beans, ½ cup of the sauce, chili peppers, cilantro and 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Stack the tortillas on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high about 2 minutes, to make them more pliable and less likely to break.
- Divide the filling evenly among the tortillas, about ¼ cup per enchilada, and spread evenly down the center of each tortilla. Tightly roll the tortillas around the filling. Place seam-side down in the prepared baking dish.
- Pour the remaining 1 cup sauce over the enchiladas to coat. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake the enchiladas for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until cheese is completely melted, about 5 more minutes. Serve immediately.
Adapted from the The Best 30-minute Recipe cookbook.
Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: 1 enchilada; Calories: 239; Fat: 10g; Carbohydrates: 23g; Sugar: 5g; Sodium: 395mg; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 16g