These delicious, fragrant pumpkin cupcakes are made with whole-wheat flour and frosted with a tasty pumpkin-cream-cheese frosting.
Prep and Cool time
Author: Vered DeLeeuw
Recipe type: Dessert
Yield: 12 cupcakes
- Olive oil spray for pan
- 1½ cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (packed) brown sugar
- ¼ cup light olive oil (or coconut oil - nuke briefly to liquify it)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 (8 oz) package neufchatel cheese (or reduced fat cream cheese), at room temperature
- ¼ cup pure pumpkin puree, strained (place in a colander to get rid of extra liquids)
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with liners and spray the liners with olive oil spray.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar and oil. Add the eggs, the pumpkin puree and the milk, whisking to combine.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture. Mix just until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Bake about 20 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack, then transfer to the wire rack and cool about 20 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting. In a medium bowl, using an electric hand whisk, beat the cream cheese to soften. Add the pumpkin puree and the pumpkin pie spice, then gradually add the powdered sugar. Keep beating 2 more minutes, stopping once to scrape the side of the bowl with a spatula, until creamy and thick.
- Spoon the frosting into a quart-size Ziploc bag. Cut a corner with clean kitchen scissors and use to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes, or spread the frosting on the cupcakes with a spatula.
The cupcake batter contains very little fat and so they might become slightly cracked on top. Don't worry about it - they are still delicious and the frosting will hide the cracks. Alternatively, you could increase the oil to a ⅓ cup.
Nutrition Per Serving
Serving size: 1 cupcake; Calories: 257; Fat: 9g; Carbohydrates: 44g; Sugar: 29g; Sodium: 270mg; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 5g