This very tasty dish of baked lentils and rice is a complete vegan meal – just add steamed veggies or a tossed salad.
Lentils and Rice
Prep and Cool time
Author: Vered DeLeeuw
Recipe type: Entree, Sides, Vegan
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup dry brown rice, rinsed
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spread the rice, lentils, onion and garlic on the bottom of a 9 X 13-inch baking dish.
- Bring the broth and oil to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Stir in the spices and pour the mixture over the rice/lentil mixture.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with a double layer of foil. Bake 1 hour, until tender and liquids are absorbed.
- Remove from oven and fluff with a fork. Cover with a clean dish towel and let stand 5 minutes to finish steaming. Uncover and let stand 5 more minutes, then serve.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 396; Fat: 5g; Carbohydrates: 68g; Sugar: 0g; Sodium: 363mg; Fiber: 15g; Protein: 19g