Eggplant caprese is a favorite summer recipe in our house. The combination of baked eggplant, juicy tomatoes, melted mozzarella and basil is amazing, and the eggplant stacks are very pretty, too.
Serve this eggplant caprese as an appetizer, or as a delicious side dish.
- 1 medium eggplant (total weight 1 lb.)
- 1 large, firm tomato
- Olive oil spray
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 8 thin slices fresh, whole milk Mozzarella (4 oz.)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Slice the eggplant and tomatoes crosswise into ½-inch-thick slices.
- Place 8 eggplant slices in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with olive oil spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Brush the mixture over the eggplant and tomato slices. Set the remainder aside.
- Bake the eggplant slices for 10 minutes. Turn them over, brush with more of the olive oil mixture, and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Place the tomatoes on the same baking sheet and bake for 2 minutes, until soft. Remove to a plate.
- Form the eggplant caprese stacks: Place a slice of cooked eggplant on the baking sheet. Top with a tomato slice, a slice of mozzarella, a basil leaf, and finish with a second slice of eggplant. Repeat to make three more stacks.
- Return the stacks to the oven for 2 minutes, just until cheese is melted. Top each stack with a drizzle of the remaining olive oil mixture and a basil leaf. Serve immediately.