A recipe for flavorful, very filling veggie burgers. Their flavor reminds me of falafel, but unlike falafel, these veggie burgers are not deep-fried.
Serve alone with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt (spice it up by mixing a teaspoon of hot sauce in 1/4 cup Greek yogurt), or serve in a bun.
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup plain low fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Place onion in food processor bowl. Process briefly to chop.
- Add carrots, cilantro and beans. Process briefly, just until blended.
- Add eggs, yogurt, salt, cumin, garlic and cayenne. Again process briefly.
- Add oats and process one final time, just until incorporated.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat, about 4 minutes. Spoon mixture out of the food processor bowl with a ½-cup measuring cup per burger. Transfer to the hot oil and gently flatten with a spatula.
- Cook 4 burgers at a time, 5-7 minutes on each side, until deep golden brown, adding the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil between the two batches.