This chocolate banana pudding was a happy accident. I wasn’t planning on making pudding – I wanted to make the chocolate version of my one-ingredient banana ice cream, but the bananas were only partially frozen, and I ended up with a delicious, creamy pudding. Since then, I tried making this pudding without freezing the bananas, but the texture is not as good – it’s heavier and more watery. So I do recommend partially freezing the bananas for this recipe.
- 6 (3.5 oz each) medium bananas, very ripe, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla or almond extract
- ¼ cup high-quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- Place the banana slices on a wax-paper-lined baking sheet or platter. Freeze for 1 hour.
- Place the partially frozen bananas in your food processor. Add the vanilla or almond extract. Process until very smooth, 1-2 minutes (depending on how powerful your food processor is), scraping the sides and bottom with a spatula as needed.
- Add the cocoa powder.
- Process until fluffy and creamy, about 1 more minute, scraping the sides with a spatula as needed. Serve immediately.