This incredibly flavorful pulled chicken is spicy and tangy, with just a hint of sweetness. It’s amazing on top of shredded cabbage – the combination of the warm, spicy shredded meat and the cool, crunchy cabbage is delightful. Obviously, you could also serve this pulled chicken over rice, or in a bun, but I highly recommend trying shredded cabbage!
- 2 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 recipe homemade spicy barbecue sauce (1¼ cups)
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Place the chicken thighs in a 9 X 13-inch baking dish. With a sharp knife, cut a few slits in the chicken.
- Pour the barbecue sauce over the chicken, coating evenly. Use your hands to make sure the sauce gets inside the slits.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with foil and place in the oven. Bake for 4 hours, until very tender. Remove from oven. Carefully remove the foil - hot steam will escape - and allow to cool about 10 minutes, until easier to handle.
- Using a knife and a fork, shred the meat (you can shred it in the baking dish). Toss in the sauce. Serve immediately.