Eggs baked in avocado – another one of those recipes that I kept seeing on Pinterest until I decided I just had to give it a try. It’s good: the baked avocado is extra creamy, and the combination of avocado, eggs and salsa is a classic one, of course. Great for breakfast, or as a vegetarian dinner, accompanied by a tossed salad.
- 1 large, just-ripe Haas avocado
- 2 eggs - the smaller the better
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cooked red salsa or tomato sauce
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Using a spoon, scrape out the center of each half - you want it to be large enough to accommodate a small/medium egg.
- Season the avocado halves with salt and place on the prepared baking sheet. Break each egg into a small bowl, then carefully slide the yolk, and as much as will fit from the white, into the center of each avocado half.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until whites are set. Remove from the oven. Allow to slightly cool, about 5 minutes (it will be too hot to enjoy straight out of the oven), then sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and garnish with salsa. Serve as is with a spoon, or scoop out and spread on warm toast.