Beef paprikash is a classic Hungarian beef stew. My version actually resembles a paprika-flavored beef stroganoff and is ready quick – basically a stir-fry dish, made creamy with sour cream, rather than a slow-cooked stew. It’s delicious nonetheless, and has the added benefit of containing lots of vegetables – onions, garlic and mushrooms, and less sour cream than traditionally called for. Just as with beef stroganoff, I skip the starch and serve beef paprikash on top of cauliflower rice or mashed cauliflower.
Makes 4 servings
Total time: 20 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 pound lean sirloin, trimmed of fat, cut into strips
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, roughly chopped (8oz)
16oz fresh, firm button mushrooms, sliced (buy whole mushrooms and slice them yourself – they are firmer and tastier than pre-sliced)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley for garnish
1. Measure out the sour cream and remove from fridge to bring it to room temperature.
2. Season the beef with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
3. Heat the olive oil in a very large, deep skillet, over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add the beef and brown on both sides, without overcooking, about 1 minute on each side or just until no longer rare. Remove to a plate.
4. Add the onion and the mushrooms with 1 more teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5-7 minutes, also adding the juices that have accumulated from the beef. Cook until the mushrooms have released their liquids, and liquids have evaporated.
5. Add the garlic and the paprika. Cook, stirring, 1 more minute, until the vegetables are well-coated by the paprika, then add the beef back to the skillet and stir to coat in the sauce. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in the sour cream. Serve immediately, garnished with chopped parsley.
Nutrition per serving
Total Fat 12.7 g
Saturated Fat 5.2 g
Sodium 473.0 mg
Potassium 736.2 mg
Total Carbohydrate 10.7 g
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
Sugars 2.5 g
Protein 17.6 g