A delightful lunch or a light supper, this warm arugula salad can also be made with baby spinach leaves.
Warm Arugula Salad
Author: Vered DeLeeuw
Recipe type: Low-Carb, Gluten-Free, Primal/Paleo
Yield: 2 servingsNew quantity:
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 (1 oz each) thin slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 oz baby arugula leaves
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Poach the eggs: Break each egg into a small bowl. Heat water in a medium saucepan. When water reaches a gentle boil, add a tablespoon of vinegar. With a hand whisk, whisk the water vigorously to create a whirlpool. Slide one of the eggs into the whirlpool. Use the whisk again to create another whirlpool and slide the second egg into that whirlpool. Cover the saucepan, turn heat off and set the timer for five minutes. After five minutes, use a slotted spoon to transfer the eggs to a paper-towel-lined plate, to drain. Tent with a foil to keep the eggs warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, fry the bacon pieces over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon to a plate, leaving the fat rendered behind (this should be about 2 tablespoons and will be the base of your salad dressing).
- Add the balsamic vinegar, stirring with a wooden spoon, cooking over medium heat about one more minute, until vinegar has reduced by half. By now the vinegar has lost its acidity and has become delightfully thick and sweet.
- Remove skillet from heat. Add the arugula and the bacon pieces, season with black pepper, and toss briefly to coat, without allowing the leaves to wilt.
- Transfer the salad to two plates. Place a poached egg on top of each plate. Season the eggs with salt and black pepper. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 221; Total Fat: 18g; Carbohydrates: 4g; Sugars: 1g; Sodium: 464mg; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 11g