Stuffed dates are a healthy, wholesome appetizer that offers delightful contrasts in flavors (sweet, tangy) and textures (soft, crunchy). In my version, using honey and nuts sparingly does not detract from the flavor, and helps keep sugar content and calories in check.
- 24 small pitted dates
- 4 oz soft goat cheese, softened for just a few seconds in microwave
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 24 walnut pieces
- Make a lengthwise slit in each date.
- Use a small teaspoon to fill each date with cheese.
- Place a walnut piece on top, and lightly press.
- Drizzle with honey.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate until ready to serve. Remove from fridge 30 minutes before serving to allow cheese to soften.