This is an unbelievably easy focaccia recipe, and the resulting bread is so tender, so delicious and fragrant, that you’ll have a hard time enjoying just one slice – the only drawback to this recipe, as far as I can tell.
Makes 9 slices
Total time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Rise: 1 hour
Bake: 15 minutes
2 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal plus 1 teaspoon for pan
1 envelope rapid rise yeast
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup + 2 tablespoons warm water
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Olive oil cooking spray
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 red onion, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves (leaves from 2 sprigs)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon coarse salt (such as sea salt)
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
2. Place flour, 1/2 cup cornmeal, yeast, kosher salt, sugar, water and olive oil in food processor. Pulse a few times, just until a dough ball forms, adding 1 more tablespoon of warm water if dough feels dry.
3. Spray a large mixing bowl with olive oil spray. Remove dough from food processor. With floured hands, knead briefly and form into a dough ball. Place in the prepared mixing bowl, roll to lightly oil the dough, cover with plastic wrap and place next to the hot oven for an hour, until doubled in size.
4. Lightly spray a square 9-inch baking dish with olive oil spray and sprinkle the bottom with a teaspoon of cornmeal. Transfer the dough to the baking dish. Stretch it and press on it with your hands to fit the baking dish. Brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil, scatter the onion and rosemary on top, gently pressing them into the dough, and season with black pepper and coarse salt.
5. Bake 15 minutes, until deep golden brown and delightfully fragrant. Cut into nine squares. Serve immediately.
Nutrition per slice
Total Fat 5.3 g
Saturated Fat 0.6 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 380.4 mg
Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
Sugars 1.4 g
Protein 5.1 g
100 grams = 250 calories
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 5 points
*Recipe adapted from Food Spy