I discovered bacon wrapped dates last year at Tango restaurant in Seattle. The warm tapas menu included a dish of “Cheap Dates” – medjoohl dates wrapped in bacon. We ordered it, and were delighted by the combination of textures and flavors – sweet and savory, crisp and gooey.
To recreate the dish at home while keeping nutrition in check, I decided to use smaller dates, and to cut each bacon slice into thirds. The result is still amazingly delicious and decadent, and my only complaint is, it’s so good, it’s difficult not to overindulge!
- 24 pitted dates (about 6 oz total)
- 8 (1-oz each) thin bacon slices, each cut crosswise into three equal parts
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wrap the dates with the bacon slices.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Bake until bacon is crisp, 8-10 minutes on each side.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain before serving.
- If necessary, use toothpicks to help the bacon adhere to the dates.