Savory, with a hint of spice, and a wonderful crusty Parmesan topping, this cheese bread is a great addition to any brunch table. Many thanks to my friend J. for introducing me to this bread!
Makes 12 slices
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Bake: 50 minutes
Cool: 30 minutes
2 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup (4oz) extra sharp cheddar, cubed into 1/2-inch cubes
2 large eggs
3/4 cup (6oz) reduced-fat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup reduced-fat milk
1/2 cup (2oz) shredded Parmesan for sprinkling on top
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cayenne, salt and black pepper. Mix cheddar in with a fork.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt, oil, and milk.
4. Add liquids to flour mixture. Mix with a spatula, just until incorporated.
5. Transfer batter to pan. Smooth top with a spatula. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
6. Bake 50 minutes, until top is golden-brown and a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan, invert onto a platter and from platter to a wire rack, then cool 30 minutes before slicing and serving. Bread tastes better when warm than when piping hot.
Nutrition per slice
Total Fat 11.0 g
Saturated Fat 4.2 g
Cholesterol 47.1 mg
Sodium 446.4 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
Sugars 1.5 g
Protein 10.8 g
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 6 points
*Adapted from The New Best Recipes Cookbook.