Delicious chocolate crepes that don’t need any filling – simply dust with powdered sugar and serve with fresh berries.
Serving size: 3 crepes
Makes 6 servings
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Rest: 1 hour
Cook: 20 minutes
2 cups white whole-wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 large eggs
3 cups whole milk
2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons unsalted butter for frying
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups fresh berries
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and sugar. Using a fine-mesh strainer, sift the cocoa powder into the flour mixture and whisk to combine. Sifting helps avoid lumps.
2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add the milk, butter and vanilla, whisking after each addition.
3. Gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, whisking constantly, until combined.
4. If you have time, cover and allow to rest in fridge, covered, for 1 hour. This will allow the batter to stabilize and thicken, and will help prevent the crepes from tearing as you cook and flip them. You can also make the batter the night before and chill overnight. Just give it a quick mix before you start making the crepes.
5. Heat oven to 200 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Heat two 10-inch skillets over medium heat, about 3 minutes. Brush thinly with melted butter. Pour 1/4 cup batter per crepe onto each skillet, swirling to spread evenly. Cook 2-3 minutes on the first side, then very carefully flip with a wide spatula and cook 1-2 more minutes on the other side. Repeat with remaining batter.
6. Stack finished crepes on top of each other on the prepared baking sheet. Cover with a clean towel and keep in the warm oven until all of them are ready. When ready to serve, fold each crepe in half, then again in half. Generously dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Nutrition per serving
Total Fat 15.9 g
Saturated Fat 8.4 g
Sodium 184.4 mg
Total Carbohydrate 65.5 g
Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
Sugars 29.7 g
Protein 14.1 g