A delicious appetizer or side dish, baked potato balls skip the frying and instead utilize high-heat baking to achieve a delightfully crispy exterior to contrast the creamy, mashed interior. Serve with Greek yogurt for dipping. If you have leftover mashed potatoes, by all means use that instead of cooking potatoes – in fact, the potato balls would be easier to shape if you work with cold mashed potatoes.
Serving size: 4 potato balls
Makes 4 servings
Total time: 30 minutes
2 large Russet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pound total weight)
1 teaspoon salt for the cooking water
Olive oil spray
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1. Peel and quarter the potatoes. Place in a medium pot. Cover with cold water, salt the water (about 1 teaspoon salt) and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium-high and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray with olive oil spray.
3. When potatoes are done, transfer them to a colander to drain well, then back to the empty, hot pot.
4. Add the eggs, salt, garlic powder and cayenne, quickly mashing and stirring with a fork. Add the cheese. In the meantime, place the bread crumbs in a shallow plate. You can make your own whole wheat bread crumbs by pulsing 2 slices of dry whole-wheat bread in the food processor. I save all the ends of my bread loaves for this purpose.
5. Allow the mixture to cool slightly, just until easier to handle. Use a 2-tablespoon measuring spoon to scoop out the mixture, Dipping in the bread crumbs and gently rolling with the palms of your hands to create smooth balls. Place them on the prepared baking sheet.
6. Spray the potato balls with olive oil spray. Bake 10-15 minutes, until hot and golden. Serve immediately.
Nutrition per serving
Total Fat 9.0 g
Saturated Fat 4.0 g
Cholesterol 107.3 mg
Sodium 501.5 mg
Total Carbohydrate 39.5 g
Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
Sugars 4.3 g
Protein 13.0 g
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 8 points