Soft, fragrant and delicious, the dough for these whole-wheat dinner rolls is based on my whole-wheat pizza dough recipe. Instead of rolling the dough out, I divide and shape it into dough balls, brush with butter and bake.
Makes 12 rolls
Total time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Inactive: 2 hours
Bake: 20 minutes
1 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups whole-wheat flour
3 tablespoons vital wheat gluten (helps the whole-wheat dough stay soft and elastic)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 envelope rapid rise yeast
Olive oil cooking spray
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1. In the pan of an electric bread machine, combine the warm water, olive oil, both flours, gluten, sugar, salt, and yeast. Set the machine for the dough cycle.
2. After about 5 minutes, check on the dough. It should have formed by now into a smooth, elastic ball that moves freely in the bread machine pan. If it’s too dry, or to wet, add flour or water, one tablespoon at a time.
3. Lightly spray a 9 X 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. When dough cycle is done, transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly, then divide into 12 equal parts, each weighing about 2 ounces. Form each part into a smooth ball by repeatedly gathering dough from the top and sides and pulling it down and under the dough ball.
4. Place balls on the prepared baking dish. Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and place in a warm, draft-free place (next to a warm oven is great) to rise until doubled in size, 30-45 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
5. After 30 minutes, the rolls are noticeably puffier:
Lightly spray them with the olive oil spray. Bake 15 minutes, until golden-brown. Brush the tops with a tablespoon of melted butter – the warm rolls will readily soak the butter. Yum. Serve warm.
PS. For a sweet treat, dip the warm rolls in cinnamon sugar after buttering them:
Nutrition for one roll
Total Fat 4.1 g
Saturated Fat 1.0 g
Sodium 194.5 mg
Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
Sugars 1.1 g
Protein 4.7 g
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 4 points