A healthier alternative to fried Mozzarella sticks, baked cheese sticks are a delicious, fun appetizer.
Makes 24 sticks
Total time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Inactive: 2 hours
Cook: 10 minutes
1/2 cup plain (whole-wheat if possible) bread crumbs
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
2 large eggs, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons white whole-wheat flour
12 sticks part-skim mozzarella string cheese, cut in half crosswise
Olive oil cooking spray
1. Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray it with olive oil spray.
2. Mix bread crumbs with cheese, garlic powder and rosemary.
3. In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs. Place the flour in another shallow bowl, and the breadcrumbs mixture in a third.
4. Dip each cheese stick in flour, shake off excess, then dip in eggs, again shaking off excess, and finally dredge in the breadcrumbs mixture, gently pressing to coat. Use one hand for dipping in the egg mixture and one for the dry plates, to avoid a sticky mess on your hands.
5. Place coated cheese sticks on the prepared baking sheet. Transfer to freezer for 2 hours. This will help keep the cheese from melting when you bake it.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Remove cheese sticks from freezer. Lightly spray them with olive oil spray. Bake 5 minutes. Remove from oven, turn, spray with more olive oil spray and bake 5 more minutes on the second side, until golden and crisp.
Nutrition per stick
Total Fat 3.5 g
Saturated Fat 1.8 g
Cholesterol 24.5 mg
Sodium 108.1 mg
Total Carbohydrate 3.0 g
Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
Sugars 0.2 g
Protein 4.9 g
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 2 points
(I calculated the olive oil spray as 1 tablespoon, although it’s probably less)