A healthier alternative to fried cheese sticks, baked mozzarella sticks are delicious and fun. Serve them as an appetizer, or as a snack – my kids love having them for their after-school snack.
Makes 24 sticks
Total time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Inactive: 2 hours
Cook: 10 minutes
Olive oil cooking spray
1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons white whole-wheat flour
12 sticks part-skim mozzarella sticks, cut in half crosswise
1. Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray it with olive oil cooking spray.
2. Mix the bread crumbs with the cheese, garlic powder and rosemary.
3. In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs with 1 tablespoon water. Place the flour in another shallow bowl, and the breadcrumbs mixture in a third bowl.
4. Dip each cheese stick in flour, shake off the excess, then dip in eggs, again shaking off the excess, and finally dredge in the breadcrumbs mixture, gently pressing to coat. Use one hand for dipping in the egg mixture and one for the dry plates, to avoid a sticky mess.
5. Place the coated cheese sticks on the prepared baking sheet. Transfer to the freezer for 2 hours. This will help keep the cheese from melting when you bake it.
6. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Remove the cheese sticks from the freezer. Lightly spray them with olive oil spray. Bake 5 minutes, turn, spray with more olive oil spray and bake 5 more minutes, until golden and crisp. Serve immediately.
Nutrition per stick
Total Fat 3.5 g
Saturated Fat 1.8 g
Cholesterol 24.5 mg
Sodium 108.1 mg
Total Carbohydrate 3.0 g
Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
Sugars 0.2 g
Protein 4.9 g
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 2 points
(I calculated the olive oil spray as 1 tablespoon oil, although it’s probably less)