It’s like magic – frozen bananas are processed in your food processor and, two minutes later, turn into delicious ice cream. Sometimes I like to add unsweetened cocoa – and even with the addition of cocoa, if the bananas are truly ripe, they are sweet enough that you don’t need any added sugar. Don’t expect this to taste like real ice cream – but it is a very good, just-sweet-enough frozen dessert, and a great way to use too-ripe bananas.
- 2 medium, very ripe bananas (4 oz each, peeled)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
- Peel and slice the bananas. Place the slices on a wax-paper-lined platter and freeze for 3 hours.
- Transfer the frozen banana slices to food processor. Process until smooth, stopping once or twice to scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula. They'll be grainy at first:
- Then magically transform into ice cream. If you wish, add cocoa and process to combine.
- Serve immediately.