It’s strawberry season and I’m so grateful for local fresh strawberries, perfectly red and ripe and delicious. This strawberry mousse is delightful – airy and light, not too sweet, with a rich strawberry flavor and a pretty pink color.
- 12 oz fresh sweet strawberries, tops removed (a typical box has 16 oz - save the rest for garnish)
- ⅓ cup sugar (use xylitol* for a low-carb mousse)
- ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 very fresh, large egg whites**
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place everything in food processor. Process 10 minutes, stopping once to allow the machine to rest a bit and to scrape the sides using a spatula.
- Processing in a food processor for so long achieves a smooth texture, so there’s no need to strain the mixture. It also adds air, which turns this mixture into a mousse.
- Transfer the mousse to individual dishes and serve. You can make this strawberry mousse 2 hours in advance and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
**Consuming raw eggs carries a slight risk of salmonella or other food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, use only fresh, properly refrigerated, clean grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell.