I knew I had to find a way to make these delicious onion rolls, or pletzlach using part whole-wheat flour. But it wasn’t easy- several tries resulted in onion rolls that were not exactly bad, but they were a little dry and not as soft and chewy as I would like them to be.
Finally, I found the exact ratio of flour to liquids and yeast that yielded a batch of fragrant, soft, tasty onion rolls – made with part whole wheat flour. Here goes:
Makes 20 rolls
Total time: 2 hours 50 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Inactive: 2 hours 10 minutes
Bake: 50 minutes
1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large egg
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups whole-wheat flour
4 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 envelopes rapid rise yeast
1 medium onion, peeled and diced
2 teaspoons poppy seeds
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water
1. Place first 9 ingredients in bread machine pan and select the dough cycle. Check the dough after about 10 minutes to make sure it’s the right consistency – dough should be smooth and elastic and move freely inside the machine. If it’s too dry, add water, a tablespoon at a time. If it’s very runny, add flour, 1 teaspoon at a time. When cycle is done, done, remove dough to a floured surface, cover with a clean towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
2. Place diced onion in a bowl, and stir in poppy seeds and olive oil.
3. Divide dough into 20 balls, each weighing about 2 ounces. On a floured surface, roll each ball into a 1-inch-thick circle.
4. Sprinkle a tablespoon of onion-poppy seed mixture on each circle, and roll to 1/4-inch thickness.
5. Prick each circle with a fork and sprinkle with kosher salt.
6. Transfer to 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Brush edges with egg wash. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rise 30 minutes, in a warm place.
7. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake rolls 18-20 minutes, until edges are lightly browned. OK to bake both batches at the same time.
Nutrition per roll
Total Fat 4.0 g
Saturated Fat 0.5 g
Cholesterol 9.3 mg
Sodium 237.5 mg
Total Carbohydrate 17.7 g
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
Sugars 2.9 g
Protein 5.7 g
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 3 points