Savory and cheesy, these whole wheat cheese biscuits are wonderful for breakfast – or as an alternative to dinner rolls.
Makes 16 biscuits
Total time: 30 minutes
Prep: 20 minutes
Bake: 12 minutes
2 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped chives
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup Low Fat Plain Greek Yogurt (I use Voskos)
2-4 tablespoons low-fat milk
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. In food processor, mix flour with salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
3. Add butter and pulse a few times, until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
4. Add the cheese and chives. Pulse a few times to combine.
5. Add the beaten egg, yogurt and 2 tablespoons milk. Pulse until a rough dough ball forms. If dough remains crumbly and does not form into a ball, add 2 more tablespoons of milk and pulse again.
6. Remove from food processor onto a lightly floured surface. Roll to 1-inch thickness. Cut 3-inch biscuits with a biscuit cutter or a floured glass top. Scraps can be re-rolled once.
6. Arrange on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake 12 minutes, until puffed and golden. Serve warm, with butter.
Nutrition per biscuit
Total Fat 7.4 g
Saturated Fat 4.3 g
Cholesterol 29.9 mg
Sodium 385.2 mg
Total Carbohydrate 12.4 g
Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
Sugars 1.3 g
Protein 7.4 g
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 4 points