Chewy, moist and intensely chocolaty, these delicious chocolate sugar cookies are just perfect with a tall glass of milk.
Makes 12 large cookies
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Chill: 30 minutes
Bake: 20 minutes
Cool: 30 minutes
1 1/4 cups white whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons reduced fat milk
1. Place flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and sugar in food processor bowl. Process briefly to combine. Add butter, egg and vanilla. Process just until dough forms, adding up to 2 tablespoons milk if batter remains crumbly and does not form into dough.
2. With floured hands, remove dough onto a lightly floured surface. Briefly knead, then flatten into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer for 15 minutes, to make rolling easier. Heat oven to 350 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
3. On a lightly floured surface, with a floured rolling pin, roll dough to 1/4-inch thick. Keep moving it as you roll to prevent it from sticking to the surface. Add just as much flour as needed to make it workable. Cut cookies with a floured 3-inch cookie cutter. Re-roll scraps and cut more cookies. If dough becomes too soft, place it in the freezer for a few more minutes, then keep working. Place cookies on the prepared baking sheet.
4. Place baking sheet with cookies in the fridge for 15 minutes – this will help the cookies keep their shape while baking.
5. Bake 18-20 minutes, until edges are firm. Allow to cool 15 minutes on the baking sheet (if you try to remove the cookies right away they will fall apart), then carefully, with a wide spatula, remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Like most cookies (except for chocolate chip cookies maybe that taste great when still warm), these chocolate cookies taste best on the day you bake them, but when completely cool.
Nutrition per cookie
Total Fat 8.8 g
Saturated Fat 5.2 g
Cholesterol 36.4 mg
Sodium 77.5 mg
Total Carbohydrate 28.9 g
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
Sugars 16.9 g
Protein 3.1 g
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 6 points