Relatively a lot of work, but one of the most delicious ways to enjoy leftover turkey.
Makes 12 enchiladas
Total time: 45 minutes
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons sugar
1 15-oz can tomato sauce, no salt added
1/2 cup water
2 cups (10oz) finely shredded cooked turkey (I use dark meat, white is fine)
1 cup canned, fat free refried beans
1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce
1 (4-oz) can chopped green chili peppers, drained
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
2 cups shredded cheddar
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a 9 X 13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
2. Prepare the sauce: Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add onion and 1/2 tsp salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, black pepper, chili powder, cumin and sugar, and cook 30 seconds, until fragrant. Stir in tomato sauce and water. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer for a smoother sauce.
3. Combine meat, refried beans, 1/2 cup sauce, chili peppers, cilantro and 1 cup cheese in a large bowl.
4. Stack tortillas on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high about 2 minutes, to make them more pliable and less likely to break.
5. Divide meat mixture evenly among tortillas, about 1/4 cup per enchilada, and spread evenly down the center of each tortilla. Tightly roll tortillas around filling. Place seam-side down in prepared baking dish.
6. Lightly spray enchiladas with nonstick spray. Pour remaining sauce (1 cup) over enchiladas to coat. Sprinkle with remaining cheese (1 cup).
7. Cover baking dish with foil and bake 10 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until cheese is completely melted, about 5 more minutes.
Nutrition per enchilada
Total Fat 10.2 g
Saturated Fat 4.9 g
Cholesterol 39.6 mg
Sodium 394.9 mg
Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
Sugars 4.6 g
Protein 15.7 g
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 6 points
*Recipe adapted from the 30-minute Best Recipes cookbook