This bread stuffing recipe contains multi-grain bread and olive oil instead of butter. It makes a delicious, savory quiche-like stuffing, crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
Makes 8 servings
Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
Rest: 15 minutes
Nonstick cooking spray
8 slices multi-grain bread, cubed
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup celery, chopped (2 stalks)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken or beef broth
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch round baking dish with nonstick spray.
2. Toast bread cubes 15 minutes in the hot oven, stirring once to evenly toast. Set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add celery and onion and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Mix in salt, black pepper, thyme and sage. Remove from heat and allow to cool a couple of minutes.
4. Add eggs and broth, mixing well to combine. Add the bread cubes, tossing gently with a spatula or a wooden spoon, until evenly coated.
5. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Press on top. Cover loosely with foil and bake 25 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 minutes more, until golden brown. Allow to rest 15 minutes, in pan on a wire rack, before slicing and serving.
Nutrition per serving
Total Fat 8.4 g
Saturated Fat 1.3 g
Cholesterol 46.3 mg
Sodium 409.5 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
Sugars 0.0 g
Protein 5.7 g
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 5 points