Take the stress out of cooking the Thanksgiving meal by offering a simple, healthy menu and preparing more than half of the meal in advance.
Thanksgiving shopping list
Brandy or bourbon
Canned coconut milk
Cocoa powder, unsweetened
Coffee and tea
Chocolate, dark (60% cacao), 6oz
Chocolate chips, bittersweet, 6 oz
Pure pumpkin puree, 15oz can
Sliced whole wheat bread, 1 loaf
Kosher salt, table salt
Pumpkin pie spice
Pure vanilla extract
Cranberries, fresh, 12oz
Cauliflower, 1 medium head
Crimini mushrooms, 8oz
Green beans, fresh, 1 lb.
Onions, medium, 5
Red bell pepper, 1
Lean ground pork, 1 lb.
Turkey breast halves, 2, boneless or bone in, skin on (2 lb.)
Butter, unsalted, 2 packages
Dry grated Parmesan
Greek yogurt, plain, low fat
Greek yogurt, plain, nonfat
Milk, reduced fat
Neufchatel cheese or low fat cream cheese, 8oz
Shredded sharp cheddar, 8oz
Thanksgiving meal tips
Make the day before:
1. Crustless pumpkin pie and chocolate pie. I bake both at the same time, allow to cool 2 hours, then slice and place the slices in air-tight containers in the fridge. Remove from fridge an hour before the meal.
2. Cranberry sauce. Remove from fridge to allow to get to room temperature an hour before the meal.
3. Gravy. After I make it, I place it in the gravy boat, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. On Thanksgiving day, I mix in 2 tablespoons of beef broth and microwave in bursts of 1 minute, stirring after each microwave session, until warm.
4. Mashed cauliflower and mashed pumpkin. Unlike mashed potatoes, these keep very well in the fridge and can be reheated, covered, in the oven or in the microwave.
5. Greek yogurt biscuits. Freeze in freezer bags as soon as they are ready to keep them fresh. The next day, reheat in the oven, covered, or in the microwave.
Thanksgiving day schedule:
We like to have our Thanksgiving meal early, at 1pm. Then for dinner we enjoy leftover turkey soup!
10:00 – 11:30 Make stuffing (either bread stuffing or sausage stuffing) and green bean casserole, baking them both at the same time (they both bake at 350 degrees F).
11:30 Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F. Prep the turkey breast.
11:45 – 12:45 Roast the turkey breast.
While turkey is in the oven:
Remove pies and cranberry sauce from fridge to allow to get to room temperature.
Set the table.
12:45- 1pm While turkey is resting, lower oven temperature back to 350 degrees F and place in the oven, covered with foil, whatever needs to be reheated: stuffing, green bean casserole, mashed cauliflower, mashed pumpkin and biscuits. Microwave the gravy.
1pm Happy Thanksgiving!
PS. Click here for many more Thanksgiving recipes!