Spaghetti and meatballs – such a classic comfort food! My kids demand it about once a week. Luckily, this simple recipe makes it easy to oblige.
Easy Spaghetti and Meatballs
Author: Vered DeLeeuw
Recipe type: Entree
Yield: 4 servingsNew quantity:
- Olive oil spray
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups no-sugar-added marinara sauce such as Rao's
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ lb whole-wheat spaghetti
- ¼ cup chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Lightly spray the foil with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the beef with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and oregano. Form into 24 small meatballs, each weighing 20 grams.
- Place the meatballs on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, until juices run clear and an instant-read thermometer inserted in a meatball reads 160 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, start boiling the water for the pasta. Mix the marinara sauce with the cayenne and heat the sauce in a large, deep skillet over medium heat.
- When meatballs are ready, transfer them to the warm pasta sauce and continue to simmer 10 more minutes, while cooking the pasta. As a general rule, for al dente pasta, cook 1 minute less than the directions on the package call for.
- Drain the spaghetti into a colander, then add to the sauce. Mix, garnish with parsley and serve.
You can significantly reduce calories and carbs in this recipe by replacing the pasta with Shiaratki noodles.
Nutrition Per Serving
Calories: 523; Total Fat: 25g; Carbohydrates: 42g; Sugars: 4g; Sodium: 582mg; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 32g