Delicious whole-wheat pumpkin cupcakes with pumpkin cream cheese frosting.
Makes 12 cupcakes
Total time: 1 hour
Prep: 10 minutes
Bake: 20 minutes
Cool: 20 minutes
Frost: 10 minutes
1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (packed) brown sugar
1/4 cup light olive oil (not extra-virgin)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
1/4 cup reduced-fat milk
1 (8-ounce) package reduced fat cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup pure pumpkin puree, strained (place in colander over bowl to get rid of extra liquids)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with liners and spray with nonstick spray.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar and oil. Add the eggs,then the pumpkin puree, whisking to combine. Add the flour mixture and the milk, 1/3 at a time, alternating, until everything is well-incorporated.
4. Spoon batter into muffin cups. Bake about 20 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. The cupcake batter contains very little fat and so they might become slightly cracked on top. Don’t worry about it – they are still delicious and the frosting will hide the cracks. Alternatively, you could increase the oil to a 1/3 cup.
5. Cool cupcakes 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack, then transfer to wire rack and cool about 20 minutes. While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting. In a medium bowl, using an electric hand whisk, beat the cream cheese to soften. Add the pumpkin puree and the pumpkin pie spice, then gradually add the powdered sugar. Keep beating 2 more minutes, stopping once to scrape the side of the bowl with a spatula, until creamy and thick.
6. Spoon the frosting into a quart-size ziploc bag. Cut a corner with clean kitchen scissors and use to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes, or spread the frosting on the cupcakes with a spatula.
Nutrition for one frosted cupcake
Total Fat 9.2 g
Saturated Fat 2.7 g
Sodium 269.8 mg
Total Carbohydrate 44.0 g
Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
Sugars 29.3 g
Protein 5.6 g
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 7 points