These flavorful, nutty, substantial oatmeal pancakes are sweetened with maple syrup. What a delicious way to start your day!
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- 2 cups low fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup light olive oil (not extra-virgin)
- ½ cup whole-wheat pastry flour (all-purpose works too)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Nonstick spray for skillet
- Stir the oats and buttermilk together and let stand 20 minutes.
- Beat the eggs with the vanilla, maple and oil, then stir in the oats mixture.
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, salt and baking soda) and add them to the liquid mixture. Mix with a spatula, just until incorporated.
- Heat two 12-inch nonstick skillets or a griddle over medium heat for 4 minutes. Spray with nonstick spray. Drop ¼ cup batter onto 3 spots on each skillet and cook about 2 minutes, until the tops are covered with holes.
- Turn over and cook 2 more minutes on the other side. Repeat with second and third batches, coating skillets with more nonstick spray before each batch. Serve with warm maple syrup.
* Adapted from the book Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone.