These rolls have a nice, golden crust. They are made with half bread flour and half white whole wheat flour. This recipe was inspired by The Bread Lover’s Bread Machine Cookbook recipe for white French bread.
Makes 10 rolls
Total time: 3 hours 45 minutes
Prep: 20 minutes
Inactive: 3 hours
Cook: 20 minutes
Rest: 5 minutes
2 large egg whites
1 cup water, warm
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten with vitamin C (available on Amazon)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
1. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until almost stiff and soft peaks are formed.
2. Add ingredients to bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer – usually the order listed above. Start the dough cycle.
3. When dough is ready, unplug machine. Open lid, and gently deflate dough with your fingers. Close lid and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
4. Remove from pan (dough will be very soft) onto a lightly floured surface. Knead a few times, adding a minimal amount of flour. Roll into a fat log, about 18 inches long. With a sharp knife, divide into 10 fairly equal portions.
5. Gently shape each portion into a round roll, pulling on the sides and tucking underneath. Place rolls on a greased baking sheet. I use a perforated pizza pan that I got at Williams-Sonoma. Cover rolls with a tea towel and allow to rise for 1 hour.
6. 30 minutes before time is up, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line the bottom of the oven with foil and place a heavy pan on top (I use a cast iron skillet).
7. Bake the rolls 20 minutes, until golden brown. Right after placing them in the hot oven, place a few ice cubes in the preheated pan at the bottom of the oven, then quickly close the oven door. This will create steam, and stream creates a crusty bread crust.
8. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, These rolls are amazing eaten warm, lightly buttered. Freeze any leftovers (who am I kidding, there won’t be any leftovers).
Nutrition Per Roll
Total Fat 0.7 g
Saturated Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 418.8 mg
Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
Sugars 1.1 g
Protein 7.3 g
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 4 points